Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston

I have been reading The Woman Warrior for a long time now, simply because I only read a little at a time and I am reading other books simultaneously. The interest in this book lies mainly in its cultural perspective. The narrator writes from a Chinese perspective and incorporates many aspects of Chinese culture into her writing. It has been difficult for me to get absorbed into his book because of the fact that some of the chapters are written in a Chinese folk tale style. They have a lot of symbolism and the writing style is very complex and hard to understand at times. The perspective switches between chapters, from a folk style to a modern style. There are some parts that seems to be memoirs of the author, yet others are stories she has made up herself, and some are stories told to her by her mother. Each chapter is from a new perspective, and it is up to the reader to discover which new direction Kingston is taking. It has definitely been a challenge, but I have recently used Spark Notes to better understand the format of the book and what is referring to who. By now gaining this basic understanding, I can better appreciate the rich language and try to interpret the underlying details and messages. I would suggest this book if you are up for a challenge and are interested in Chinese culture.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting read, but do you think the choppy nature from chapter to chapter is saying something about the substance of the text? I like how you made the connection of the reader having to find out which direction the author is taking as well.

    -Kevin W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a Chinese-based novel I think in eighth grade (I know it was a LONG time ago) but I found myself having mixed feelings about it as well. It was hard to get past the names and the way things occur in China...probably because I am not immersed in the culture myself. But I think once I overlooked the difficulties, the text was quite fulfilling in the subconcious desire to learn about others and their ways of life.


    -A. Pruett

    ReplyDelete