Friday, May 11, 2012

The Giving Tree

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein is one of my favorite books of all times. This was shared by Mrs. Elliott a while ago. Basically the story revolves around a boy and an apple tree. Year after year, the little boy comes to the tree and asks for something from it. The tree, without any complaints, selflessly sacrfices itself in order to make the boy happy.

I don't necessarily agree with the "devoted"love of the apple tree. The most important message I got out of this books is this: when we face our loved ones who are ungrateful, like the boy in the story, do we need to dedicate so much of ourselves to them to a point that we have sacrificed everything we have for them.  I feel like at times love like this can be harmful to the person providing it (the tree) and the person receiving it (the boy). In our society, if one loves oneself more than others, then that person is often labeled as being selfish.

In the final scene of the book, we see the little boy, now an old man, sit on the trunk of the dying tree. We don't know if the boy is thankful or regretful. The heartfelt writing and illustrations allow the readers to reexamine what the "right" kind of love may be. Although the book can be read in 5 minutes, it is worth rereading over and over again.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be honest with you. I didn't read "The Giving Tree" for a couple of good years until Mrs. Elliott read it us in class a few months ago. I have to admit that as I began to familiarize with the book again, I finally understood what it meant to me. "The Giving Tree" said to me that there are people in this world that will just give because they love to give to a loved one while there are those who take those gifts for granted. Those people do not realize what they have until they don't have it anymore. There is an old saying like that somewhere, but I am too lazy to look it up as I am currently studying for the AP Government test tomorrow. But, like I said, I believe that we shouldn't take anyone's gifts and love for granted and we should all feel thankful for what we have and who we have in our lives. Happy Mother's Day everyone!

    -Richard Won
    Period 3
    DoubleDoublezzzzz

    ReplyDelete