Thursday, May 10, 2012

Of Mice and Men

For my 20th century novel I decided to reread Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. This is one of the few books I read at school that I truly enjoyed.

Lennie is an innocent big guy with the mind of a child. He depends on his friends, George, who is a quick-witted man. The two friends, like other migrant workers, move from one place to another as they search for farms that can provide them with job opportunities. Despite of this unstable lifestyle, Lennie and George have a beautiful dream--and that is to earn enough money so they can buy a land and have all kinds of animals, including Lennie's favorite rabbits. Because of Lennie's love for soft objects, he accidentally kills Curly's wife. Knowing what horrible consequences Lennie would have to face, George takes Lennie to the forest and there he retells all the wonderful details of their dream. With Lennie fully captivated by the bright future they envisioned together, George kills him.

The ending of this book definitely surprised me. I would have never imagined that the story would end with a twist like this. I think that in a way Lennie is fortunate that he died in George's hands. He is able to live his last moments with such a joyful and hopeful attitude. I cannot imagine what went through George's mind when he finally pulls the trigger. Not only was he ending the life of his only companion, he was also throwing away him and Lennie's big dream that once kept him motivated in life.

Of Mice and Men is a fast read with a deep messsage that kept me thinking for a long time. The portrayal of the characters' psychological states is extremely detailed and powerful. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment