Thursday, May 10, 2012

Heart of Darkness

I've been reading the book, Heart of Darkness for a while now. It's such a hassle trying to decode this book. It's such a complicated book, it made me struggle for a long time. Joseph Conrad's advance vocabularies definitely hindered me to understand and finish the book in good time. What I can bring out of this book is Conrad's view towards brutality. It's really unfortunate for the indigenous people to suffer, but it was inevitable during this time. I think Conrad is trying to portray that although brutality is wrong, it's impossible to escape from it. It's part of nature and you can't mess with it and sometimes, it becomes a issue that you have to ignore. The consequences of making people suffer is indeed grave, but the fact that you are living in a society stop you from speaking out. Brutality, and Conspiracy is imbedded into our society and it's a natural thing to just accept it and go along with it. It saddens me that we have come this far, but as greed of human being increase, the morals of human beings will gradually decrease.


Alex Han

3 comments:

  1. I personally have not read the book, however I have heard that it will take some dedication to complete it. It seems as if Conrad is portraying the view that history repeats itself, but that it is almost impossible to change for the future. What happened in Africa (the brutality towards the natives) happened in the Americas when they were being colonized by the Europeans as well. It is sad to think that Europeans thought violence was needed to change the land into what they viewed as right based on their own lives. But to each their own.

    -A. Pruett

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does seem Conrad is portraying that history repeats itself and yet at the same time the future does seem to have some saddening details added to it. People do seem to become more greedy as time passes and the morals are also decreasing for sure. It is sort of depressing to know that are society is becoming more departed from each other instead of trying to help each other back to healthy living.
    -Amanda A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to read this book in my English class sophomore year and I did not like it at all. I felt like the way this book is structured makes it very hard to read and understand. Maybe I will read it again some day and hopefully I will have a different opinion then.

    -Linda Tsui

    ReplyDelete