Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pieces of You by Daniel Armand Lee

I just finished reading the book, Pieces of You, which is a collection of short stories that have their sources from the personal experiences of the author.

First off let me start off by introducing Tablo (stage name) also known as Daniel Armand Lee. Tablo, a Korean American, graduated from Stanford with emphasis in creative writing. Later Tablo debuted in Korea through a rap group called Epik High.
The novel is a collection of fictional short stories which symbolize the harsh experiences of the author while growing up in America, and the experiences of being ostracized by society and even his parents. 

His collection of short stories have a straightforward writing style which portrays a much more modern writing style than those of writers in the 20th or 19th century. This novel was an easy read, however, the novel is very profound in meaning, symbolism, and irony. It is hard to summarize all of the stories in the novel, but the key concept that I found Lee trying to show is that life does not always go the way you want it, and no one can be considered the center of the universe. It may have been because of his personal experiences in his younger stage of life, but what I could see in his words were sincerity and empathy for the fictional characters he chose to put in to the novel.

A best seller in Korea, Pieces of You by Daniel Armand Lee, brings a new style of text which make you think and take another look at life. Lee a creative writer, composer, and a musician, he has blended all of these qualities to write a unique novel definitely worth reading.

Kenny J.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Kenny. I love Tablo. Is this book written in Korean or English? I'd really like to read this book.

    -Stephanie Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novel is written both in English and Korean. This novel is so good Stephanie you should try it out. Hope you enjoy if you ever read it!

    Kenny J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have. Hard time interpreting things like this so perhaps Daniel Armand's straight forward style of writing would be a good match for me. I often get lost in the "fluff" and I am seeking clarification. In my opinion I like my reading straight forward. Just like I like people and life :)

    Toni g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni this is such a great novel and yes sometimes the straight forward style of writing gets it perfect. If you have time maybe you should read this novel. His straight forward style is simple yet very meaningful. I guess sometimes we need a break from the fluff.

    Kenny J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book seems very interesting because it contrast American and Korean cultures. I would consider reading this book because I would like to learn more about Korea.
    -Chrystal Okwuokei

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey kenny, I've been recommended this book by many people now, including you. ust like you i really enjoy listening to Tablo's music. I never got the chance to read the book myself, but i already feel like i know what his view towards world is. Kenny, I know you know about the "witch Hunt" Tablohad to go through. Im going to give other people the background. Daniel graduated from Stanford with a masters degree. Group of poeple in korea became skeptical of this fact so they decided to hunt daniel down. Of course, Daniel's graduation from Stanford was true, people started to condemn him. Because of this incident, he
    struggled to come back out as a singer. He was eventually diagnosed with depression and even tried to commit suicide. Tablo was definitely depressed and in confusion when he wrote this book. It only made him turn his back towards people. It was hard for him to go back out and socialize. Like you said kenny, i feel like daniel's pessimism is imbedded in his book. I feel like this is actually good in the literature business. having something like this instead of happy ending opens up people's view on life. I really want to read this book now.

    Alex Han

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this book because first of all, the author is a Korean-American. I like this book because it shows the struggles of Tablo and how he conquered each of those struggles.

    -Richard Won
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete