Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Looking For Alaska

I recently finished Looking for Alaska by John Green. I'd say it is very unlike anything I have read in the past. The basic plot of the story tells of a high school boy who leaves his public school in Florida to attend a boarding school in Alabama in hope of finding adventure. What he does find is a promiscuous, intelligent, and good-looking girl named Alaska. He finds new friends named the Colonel, Takumi, and Laura, all whom plot with him mischievous adventures and help him pass Pre-Calc. He finds the excitement he is looking for, but ultimately experiences an event that will change him forever.
   First, the things I like about the book: The themes of teenage freedom and finding oneself are my favorite parts of the story. The book addresses the issues of growing up, the effects of the past on the present, and the popular teenage theme of "fitting in." I like that the characters are highly intelligent, yet know how to have fun and take risks for the sake of an adventure. I like how the story is such a carefully laid out combination of comedy and drama and mystery, all coming down to the most wonderfully written conclusion.
  Next, the cons: Well, UGH. There was a pretty large section in the book where a mystery was laid out. This mystery, although completely unsolvable to all of the characters involved, had a very obvious solution. I found myself wanting to scream at the page of fictional characters, each and every time they found a fairly obvious clue and STILL could not figure out the answer to their little mystery. But its a good possibility that this issue I came across will not occur with other readers, so maybe disregard this.The only other con I can think of is that their were some...well...inappropriate scenes. But I'm almost positive that these will not be on the con list for most readers....
   So, I'd definitely say that the pros outweigh the cons. This is a well-written novel that has a fantastic perspective on the ideas of teenage spirit and "the great unknown." I think its a great piece of literature for anyone, but especially teenagers, to read. So...yeah...read it.

-Aimee Erickson

8 comments:

  1. The book sounds very interesting! I haven't head of it prior to this post, or perhaps I have and just don't remember. Anyhow, what you have described intrigues me. It relates to us as teens seeking to fit in as well as stand out. I plan to read this book now and I am excited to compare our pros and cons of the novel :)

    Toni g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember we talked about this book together in class. This book sounds like something I would read because it is relate able to teenagers and has a great plot.
    -Chrystal O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book does sound like a good book to read. I like the way you listed pros and cons but ultimately left it up to the individual reader to compare their own pros and cons after reading. I've read books before where I too thought the solution to the mystery was really obvious and it does get annoying.
    -Aimee E

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I was reading your post, I couldn't help but think of, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower", which I read recently. It seems that a popular theme of book for teenagers nowadays is reading about characters who either are or have friends that are rule breakers and rebels. Long gone are the celebrated characters doing the right thing and speaking on behalf of truth, but I like these teenagers just as much. It's a more real perspective on what REALLY goes on in the high school hallways. I like the way you described these characters too--I sometimes want to yell at books too.

    -Jillian D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While reading this book did you look at either sociological or philological critique? I guess what im asking is what did this book reveal to you about human nature?

    ReplyDelete
  6. the comment above is by onyx linton. i forgot to add that and i dont know how to edit it

    ReplyDelete
  7. This novel seems very interesting to read. I also am a fan of, "The themes of teenage freedom and finding oneself are my favorite parts of the story." This is what makes me ten times more interested and dares me to read more. What century is this novel categorized?
    Great job on the review!!
    -jessica w

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard of this book summer going into junior year and promised myself I would read it, why I still haven't is beyond me. This is definitely on my list and I can't wait to start it! You're review was great and made me even more excited to get started.
    -Secada C.

    ReplyDelete