Saturday, April 7, 2012

Words of Paradise

Words of Paradise

Words of Paradise is by Rumi and is a collection of poems. The poems at first and throughout the whole book is hard to understand and each poem needs much concentration because you can lose concentration due to the translation and time period in which they were written in. Overall it was an interesting read because it was a different taste compared to the contemporary poems that I have read. The only thing that I would say that people should be aware of if reading his poems is the time period in which they were written in.  I found myself having to change my though process to fit the thoughts of Rumi.

Although I made it seem as though this collection of poems is very difficult to read, it may not be so for many others. For me personally I am not really good at understanding poetry so I may be at a disadvantage when it comes to poems. So I encourage others to try this book out, it may not be so bad for people who are looking for a challenge to their normal poetic life.

Kenny J.

1 comment:

  1. After having read another collection of poems by a more contemporary author, I would like to quickly contrast between the collection of poems by Rumi and Billy Collins. The first thing that I noticed were the different styles and word choice which I found or guessed was due to the time period in which they were written in. Also the concepts found in Collins' poems were much more focused on one subject where as they poems by Rumi were rather vague and open to much more interpretations.

    Kenny J.

    ReplyDelete